Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Almost died... again.

Never underestimate the power of a pony.
I've trained quite a few ponies...
None as ruthless and stubborn as this one.
He's pretty is as pretty does, as my mother says.
The other day we were outback jumping alone
when he decides to take off running.
(This happens often... no big deal)
My instructor always tells me, "When he takes off
You need to run him until he can't run anymore."
So I do.
Only it takes like... forever!
On this particular occasion we happened to take an unexpected tight turn,
galloping on a patch of slippery hay.
This is not good.
The pony slips.
He scrambles hastily beneath me, trying to regain his footing.
He does this for literally... ten seconds.
Which seems like forever when you're imagining this is your death!
I watching this below me (without a helmet on), fatalistically thinking, "I'm gonna die."
I am balancing over this pony while his nose is on the ground,
my feet are practically touching the ground,
and he is still scrambling to stand.
He stops.
On all fours.
Blowing.
I'm breathing pretty hard too.
We both stand shocked.
I look down at him and yell, "YOU JUST SAVED MY LIFE!!!!"
....."AND ALMOST KILLED ME AT THE SAME TIME!!"
Next time I ride him, I'm wearing my helmet.

1 comment:

  1. Girl! That's the exact place Dart slipped (after taking off) and flung me over his head. I was glad I had a helmet (but no vest, shame on me).

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete