I was about thirteen, cleaning stalls on a fiercely hot day in the summer.
All the horses were turned-out,
except for Joe.
(He must have had an injury or something.)
Joe was a stunning, tall, bay thoroughbred, and he was known for his quirky personality.
There I was cleaning his stall, wiping the sweat from my brow and upper lip.
My muscles were aching from working all day, and my shoveling movements were pitifully sluggish.
I stepped out of Joe's stall to get a drink from my mini water bottle. You know, the miniature ones?
I could barely unscrew the cap because I was so exhausted.
I took a swig and then balanced the bottle on the edge of Joe's stall door.
The pitchfork in my hand had slipped through my sweaty fingers,
knocking the stall door hard enough to shake the entire wall,
making my water bottle fall to the other side of the stall
and into Joe's water bucket...
Joe was gazing out of his stall window when he heard the ruckus.
He then turned around and stuck his head over the stall,
looking at me as if he was asking me, "What happened?"
I sighed fatalistically.
Sarcastically, I asked Joe, "Could you get that for me?"
THEN!
Joe tucked his head into his water bucket, grabbed the water bottle with his teeth by the cap, and offered it to me!
I was shocked.
I turned enthusiastically to see if anyone else had seen this miracle!
Not a soul.
I took the water bottle from his grasp
and thanked him for getting it for me...
So awesome! Smiled when i read this :)
ReplyDelete